DI MATTEO: AMBITIONS HIGH

« Older   Newer »
x_Carla_x
view post Posted on 26/8/2012, 19:59

Roberto Di Matteo expects David Luiz to be fit for Saturday's late kick-off against Newcastle United at Stamford Bridge.

The defender missed Wednesday's win against Reading with a minor knee injury but trained on Thursday before departing for a sponsor's event in Barcelona. Despite rumours of a transfer he was back on Friday morning, and with John Terry struggling with a neck injury could partner Gary Cahill in the centre of defence.

Di Matteo insists the 25-year-old Brazilian is a key part of his future plans.

'He will be available,' said the Italian. 'He is part of our long-term future here and normally there is interest because he is a Brazilian international centre-back and at the moment we have three internationals in that position. We need to have that at a club like us. [Speculation] doesn't concern me and I think the player will be here for the long term.

'This club has been very successful in the past and I don't see why any players should want to leave us to go somewhere else at the moment.

'We always compete for trophies, it's a very ambitious club with an ambitious owner and a great group of players who have won a lot and have the hunger to win more. Competition is hard but we have great facilities, everything.'

Following the arrival of 22-year-old Cesar Azpilicueta, and the agreement to sign Victor Moses subject to a medial and personal terms, Di Matteo believes he now has a complete squad to compete across every competition this season, but insists we will need to be patient as we wait for new players to make an impact.

'We started with only one new player in the team in the first two games, so it is going to be a slow process and I don't expect a revolution or anything like that. We will get players slowly into the team and build a team for the future,' he said.

'I am happy with the way the squad is. I think if you look at the profile of players that have come in they are players who will be here for the next four or five years, all very young players.

'Some are more established than others and you are looking for them to be the platform for the future of this club as well. There were some opportunities that came up this summer which is why they were signed. I think there are some good signings and some exciting players who will hopefully show their qualities for the club in the future.'

ChelseaFC

0 replies since 26/8/2012, 19:59   7 views