AZPILICUETA: FIRST WORDS

« Older   Newer »
x_Carla_x
view post Posted on 26/8/2012, 19:57

Cesar Azpilicueta became the fourth new addition to the club over the course of the summer when he completed his move from Marseille earlier today.

There is little doubt that the Spanish defender has joined the club at an exciting time, with the Blues in the hunt for six trophies throughout the 2012/13 season.

Shortly after taking part in his first training session as a Chelsea player, Azpilicueta sat down with the official Chelsea website and spoke about signing for the European champions.

Firstly, Cesar, welcome to the club. How does it feel to be a Chelsea player?
I'm very happy to play for Chelsea. It's a project I want to be a part of and to help the team grow. I am looking forward to helping the team win more trophies.

How would you describe your style of play?
I'm a right-back and my first mission is to defend for the team. I also like to offer solutions for the team offensively and I enjoy going forward.

It's been a good start to the season so far, with two wins from two matches. Did you see any of the games?
Yes, I saw both matches in full and really enjoyed them. Obviously, it's always nice when the team win, and we have been playing well.

You played for Spain at the Olympics in a number of English stadiums. What did you make of the atmosphere in this country?
It was wonderful. There were good crowds at all of our games making a lot of noise and it was a good experience for me.

You played alongside both Oriol Romeu and Juan Mata at the Olympics, and also have Fernando Torres at the club. Will the fact you have three Spaniards here make it easier to adapt?Yes, definitely. Juan and Oriol have been helping me out this morning and showing me around the training ground. Moving to another country is a big change and it's very nice for me to have some familiar faces here already.

You've captained the national side?
Yes, I was captain for Spain when I played for the younger age groups.

Have you watched a lot of Premier League football, and do you think your style of play will suit the English game?
Yes, I watch a lot of the Premier League on television. It will be difficult at first but I hope, given time, I will be able to play well and adapt.

Eden Hazard is a player you know from competing against him in Ligue 1…
I know Hazard well from my time in France. He's a very good player and I'm looking forward to having him as a member of my team.

We have some very experienced defenders at the club, players such as John Terry and Ashley Cole. How do you feel about being given the opportunity to play with such established stars?
Of course, they are all very good players, but the most important thing for me is to learn from them and their experiences. I'm a younger player and it will be good for me to develop and grow playing alongside them.

Finally, what are your aims for this season?
Firstly, I want to integrate into the group, but also to play as regularly as possible. I want to help the team win matches and win as many trophies as we can.

ChelseaFC

0 replies since 26/8/2012, 19:57   5 views