Cole pleased with start

« Older   Newer »
x_Carla_x
view post Posted on 26/8/2012, 19:47

Ashley Cole is relishing Chelsea's change in style this season after they moved back to the top of the fledgling Premier League table with a 2-0 home win over Newcastle.

Eden Hazard got his first Blues goal from the penalty spot after Fernando Torres tumbled in the area, and the revitalised Spain striker added the second in first-half stoppage-time.

Chelsea have a new look after some changes this summer, and Cole is delighted with how quickly they have gelled.

"We've lost Didier (Drogba), a big powerful presence up front and sometimes we just used to knock it up to him," said the England left-back.

"But now we've signed some smaller players so we've got to get the ball down and play a little bit more now.

"The second goal today was a great goal for the whole team."

It was Torres' third goal of the season, counting his strike in the Community Shield, and Cole reckons the frontman's new-found confidence is as much a result of Spain's triumph at Euro 2012 as his new role in a Drogba-less Chelsea team.

Main man
"Of course it was really hard for him to (only) get that many games (last season)," he said. "But when he did play he worked really hard for the team.

"Now he's the main man, like you say. But he's full of confidence after the European Championships and he scored a great goal today."

Hazard turned in another fine performance to add to his growing reputation since his big-money move from Lille this summer.

"I think he deserves a lot of credit for the start to the season we've had," Cole said.

"He's won two penalties, got two assists and now a goal - it's phenomenal.

"We're proud to have this guy in the team and hopefully he can keep doing it."

Hazard added: "I'm very happy to get my first goal at Stamford Bridge."

Sky Sports

0 replies since 26/8/2012, 19:47   6 views