Captain's commitment

« Older   Newer »
x_Carla_x
view post Posted on 27/6/2012, 20:35

Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard expressed his desire to remain as England captain as the squad said farewell to their Polish base and prepared to fly home from EURO 2012 after their quarter-final defeat by Italy on Sunday evening.

He said: "I've loved being captain, the responsibility that comes with it and I've enjoyed every minute of it.

"I have had a brief chat with the Manager and I am available as long as I am wanted and Manager has told me he wants me and to carry on."

Gerrard was one of the star performers in the England ranks and he added: "I think, performance wise, I am reasonably satisfied with my own level, but it still doesn't crack over the pain and hurt that I am feeling now - the same as I have felt at previous tournaments.

"I am in a zone of pain and frustration and disappointment as we were so close to ending our quarter final hoodoo."

Reflecting on England's overall performance in their four games at the competition, he said: "I think we gave a good account of ourselves and at times our football was not fantastic, but we stuck together, fought hard and gave every inch of effort we could give.

"At times it was hard without the ball and moving forward as a nation we do need to try and improve with the ball.

"As captain of the team I looked at everyone in dressing room and they all gave every ounce of effort.

"We have given a lot of pride but have gone out in a quarter final again on a penalty shoot-out so it hurts and I am disappointed."

Gerrard also agreed that England is a happier and improved squad this year and added: "I think we have performed to a better level than at previous tournaments."

The FA

0 replies since 27/6/2012, 20:35   4 views