'Doesn't help the heartbreak'

« Older   Newer »
x_Carla_x
view post Posted on 27/6/2012, 20:33

England captain Steven Gerrard admitted that taking Italy all the way in their EURO 2012 quarter final could in no way take away the disappointment of losing after a penalty shoot-out.

The Three Lions and Italy couldn't be separated after 120 minutes in Kiev and whilst Italy may have had the better of the game, Gerrard was disappointed England couldn't take advantage in the lottery of spot-kicks.

The Liverpool midfielder said: “It doesn’t help the heartbreak. I just feel for the players who have given everything since day one.

“I thought this time we might get the luck we need in a penalty shoot-out after we got our nose in front.

“We were praying that we would see it out and it was our turn, but credit to Italy; they were a fantastic team and got their luck in the shoot out."

It was a hard game for England, who after enjoying some good spells during the match, were largely left chasing the Italians but still managed to carve out a number of opportunities whilst proving hard to beat at the back.

“The lads at the back were fantastic tonight," added Gerrard. "Everyone’s been great in every game and in training.

“I think we’ve done the country proud but again we go home with heart break which is difficult to take."

The FA

0 replies since 27/6/2012, 20:33   6 views