Growing with each game

« Older   Newer »
x_Carla_x
view post Posted on 21/6/2012, 16:03

Joe Hart says England are growing as a team ahead of the crunch clash with Italy in the quarter finals of EURO 2012 this Sunday - and he's paid tribute to the Three Lions fans.

England booked their place in the last eight after topping Group D, while Italy made it through after coming second to Spain in Group C.

And with a semi-final place against Germany or Greece up for grabs beyond that, Hart said: "It's a great achievement and something we set out to do. We identified the first game as key against France and to get the draw and follow it up with two wins is a great start.

"We are growing with each game. We started well and with the right ideas and game plan. Everyone involved, even the lads off the bench or those yet to play, have come together nicely.

"There has been a group of people who thought we may not do well but if you knew the players, it's part of the plan and not a surprise we're here."

And Hart has thanked England fans for their support in Poland and Ukraine, adding: "Walking out against Ukraine the other day to see that one corner of England fans bouncing with all that noise - that means the world.

"I know from first hand that it's difficult for people to out here and it does go a long way for the players.

"We are winners. The whole point coming here is not to keep people off our backs. We came here to win games for us and the country. If it wasn't to go right, I don't like talking about that, but we would have given everything.

"Italy have a very good team and a very good history. We don't fear anyone."

With the dreaded penalty shoot-out now an option in the knock-out stages of the competition, Hart says he's ready to be called on if Roy Hodgson wants him to take a spot-kick on Sunday.

He said: "If they let me take one, I would. I'll put my name forward 100 per cent. I'll back myself in the tournament, but hopefully it won't come to that.

"You have the chance to do your thing for the team. If it requires penalties to get through, then so be it."

Hart also knows all about Italy striker Mario Balotelli from their time at Manchester City together and he's more than wary of the threat he faces this Sunday.

Hart added: "He could be a great threat. I know him and Joleon Lescott knows him too. I've seen them battle it out in training many times and it will be interesting to see what he brings to the table.

"He is what he is. There's no acting with him, he does as he does. When he's on form, he's a great player.

"They have some very good players and people we have to keep our eye on."

The FA

0 replies since 21/6/2012, 16:03   7 views