Gerrard: 'Wayne's itching to play'

« Older   Newer »
x_Carla_x
view post Posted on 18/6/2012, 21:58

Skipper says Rooney's return to side will make England a bigger threat

Steven Gerrard believes England can be a better team with Wayne Rooney as they prepare for their final Group D game with co-host Ukraine in Donetsk.

The Three Lions need a point to secure their route into the knock-out phase of Euro 2012 after a draw with france and victory over Sweden, and with the 'world-class' Manchester United forward set to start after serving a two-gaem suspension, Gerrard says it will only help Hodgson's men.

And the Liverpool midfielder is delighted to have Rooney back for Tuesday night's encounter.

"I can see it in his eyes that he is itching to get out there and perform," said Gerrard.

"Everyone knows what Wayne Rooney's all about and he makes us a lot more threatening going forward.

"He's a world class player and I'm quite close to him and I can see it in his eyes that he's itching to get out there and hopefully he can play really well on Tuesday night and make the difference.

"I'm not going to tell Wayne not to be fired up for this game. That's what Wayne Rooney is all about, pressing and being aggressive in the right way and being a top player.

"The reason that he's world class is because of what he's shown up until today but obviously we need him on the pitch.

"Any team in which Wayne Rooney is involved, needs him out there playing and he's aware of that."

He added: "He regrets his reaction from when he got the suspension and I'm sure he'll behave himself well and put in another performance for us."

And Gerrard, who is leading his country at a second successive tournament, says he loves playing for the Three Lions and loves representing his county.

"I've enjoyed every time I've played for England," added Gerrard.

"There have been highs and lows but the experience of playing with this group of players has been fantastic. I wouldn't change a thing."

The FA

0 replies since 18/6/2012, 21:58   6 views