Theo plays down his key role

« Older   Newer »
x_Carla_x
view post Posted on 18/6/2012, 21:45

Theo Walcott played down his key role in England's heroic 3-2 win over Sweden at Euro 2012.

The substitute, who replaced James Milner in the second half, made it 2-2 with a fierce drive and then set up Danny Welbeck to score the winner 12 minutes from time, proving to be wholly instumental in the win for Roy Hodgson's side.

Andy Carroll had given England the lead with a 23rd-minute header but two Olof Mellberg goals at the beginning of the second half had put the Swedes ahead.

"We felt from the first game [against France] we wanted to pick it up a bit more offensively and to score three goals is the main thing," began Walcott.

"I wouldn't say I was a game changer but it's always nice to come off the bench and show what you can do.

"I've obviously been disappointed that I haven't played, but I've been training hard and it's not about the starting line-up, it's a whole squad thing.

"It means so much, it has been a long time waiting and hopefully there will be many more [appearances in a major tournament]."

The FA

0 replies since 18/6/2012, 21:45   6 views