Roy’s been a breath of fresh air

« Older   Newer »
x_Carla_x
view post Posted on 10/6/2012, 21:13

FRANK LAMPARD today gives a revealing insight into the way Roy Hodgson has transformed England in time for the Euro 2012 finals.

Chelsea’s Champions League winner says the nation’s new boss has been a “breath of fresh air” for the Three Lions since taking charge just last month.

The midfield star, 33, is full of praise for Roy the man and Roy the manager as England prepare to kick-off their campaign against France in Donetsk tomorrow.

And he is hoping Hodgson’s injury-ravaged squad can somehow defy the odds and go all the way to next month’s final in Kiev.

Lampard, cruelly ruled out by a thigh strain, said: “I really love the feel of Roy’s England. It’s brilliant.

“It’s a far more relaxed atmosphere and that’s a big change from the regime before.

“There’s plenty of down time where everyone can switch off and do their own thing. But training is very focused and intense.

“He wants training to be at the top level, he wants everyone to be at it. He’s definitely very strict on getting it right and very keen on getting his message across.

“You quickly realise how good he is. He has so much experience that he’s picked up from working all around the world.

“He knows the different styles, the different techniques and all the different tactics.

“So everything is very thorough and professional.

“He has brought in good people, too. Ray Lewington is a great guy and a very good coach.

“There’s Gary Neville, too, who has done so much with England and Manchester United.

“So Roy’s brought a breath of fresh air to the whole set-up.”

Lampard also has first-hand experience of Hodgson’s superb man-management skills.

The Stamford Bridge hero says he was “gutted” to be ruled out of the England squad after suffering a thigh injury in training.

But he says the way the 64-year-old England boss broke the news that he was being left behind was first class.

Lampard added: “Roy made a point of coming to see me personally to tell me face-to-face.

“He came to my room and sat down on the settee and said he couldn’t take the chance on me.

“He explained that because he’d already lost Gareth Barry and because of the make-up of the squad he had to leave me behind.

“He said how sorry he was for me and I could tell that he meant it. I could tell he was genuinely disappointed for me.

“Obviously it was a downer for me, a really gutting moment. But what can you do?

“I had feared as much. I actually knew I was in trouble when I first got injured.

“There was a shooting pain in my thigh muscle and I just knew.

“Immediately I did a quick mental calculation — two to three weeks out, that means I could miss the group games, Oh no.

“So I sort of knew straightaway and then I had a day to prepare myself for the worst while waiting for the results of the scan.

“The England doctor Ian Beesley came to see me first.

“He went through it all in some detail and told me the manager didn’t want to take any risks. Roy could have left it at that, or maybe he could have just had a quick word with me to confirm what the doctor had said.

“But I was very impressed that he came to my room and did it the way he did.

“He is a genuinely nice bloke and I really appreciated and respected the way he spoke with me.

“The way he is and the way he works could prove to be a crucial asset for England. I certainly hope so.

“I might be frustrated and fed up at not being involved but I will still be watching every game and cheering him and the lads on.

“Sure it’s going to be tough for England but not impossible.

“I am confident we will be very organised and very difficult to beat.

“We may have suffered from injuries and we all know that Wayne Rooney can’t play for the first two group games against France and Sweden. But don’t forget there is still a lot of talent and a lot of experience in that England squad.

“If Joe Hart isn’t already the best goalkeeper in the world then he’s very, very close.

“And he is vital to our chances of having a big tournament.

“We also have so many top quality defenders to choose from that we must be confident there — although I have to say I am so upset for my Chelsea team-mate Gary Cahill.

“He has been so unlucky to miss out on his first big tournament with England through injury.

“Another key player for me is Ashley Young, who has now emerged as a very important player for England with his goals and assists.

“He has a massive responsibility, especially in the absence of Wayne Rooney.

“He has got the experience now and he has shown a bit of what he can do — now comes the opportunity for him to really shine.

“In midfield there’s Stevie Gerrard and Scott Parker who are both great players.

“I’m sure there will be times when they are outnumbered in the middle of the park so they will really have to put a real shift in to give England a foothold in games.

“But I know they are capable of doing that.

“And up front we have the likes of Danny Welbeck, Theo Walcott, Ashley Young and Wayne Rooney.

“All of them are capable of producing a bit of magic, of scoring and creating goals.

“So for me there are still plenty of positives for England.

“Obviously the first game against the French is crucial.

“If we can win or draw that then it will help build confidence in the squad for the next two games against Sweden and Ukraine.

“Come through those and you are in the quarter-finals and everyone will suddenly be saying ‘Hang on here — we have a real chance!’

“I certainly think we do.”

And Frank should know... he is already a champion of Europe.

The Sun

0 replies since 10/6/2012, 21:13   7 views