Terry earns boss backing

« Older   Newer »
x_Carla_x
view post Posted on 9/5/2012, 20:49

Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo has defended his captain John Terry after he made a number of errors in Tuesday's 4-1 defeat at Liverpool.

The 31-year-old slipped at a crucial moment in the first half at Anfield, allowing Reds midfielder Jordan Henderson to race through and put the Reds 2-0 in front.

Terry then lost Andy Carroll from a corner, allowing the striker to nod the ball back for Daniel Agger to nod home the third.

Terry was also nutmegged by Carroll and his strike partner Luis Suarez in what was a nightmare 90 minutes on Merseyside for the defender.

Such form is likely to catch the attention of new England boss Roy Hodgson, who is preparing to name his squad for Euro 2012 next Wednesday.

Amid doubts over Terry's claims to a place in that squad, his club boss Di Matteo has leapt to his defence, praising the impact the club's skipper has made this season.

"John has been magnificent for us," said the Italian.

Leader
"He has been playing all the games, he has been a leader and everything you want in a captain."

Switching his attentions to the UEFA Champions League final against Bayern Munich on 19th May, Di Matteo admits he has a number of issues to address before he can start formulating his side.

Terry is one of four players suspended for the show-piece event, while Gary Cahill and David Luiz are battling back from injury.

With a number of squad players failing to impress in that Anfield mauling, the Chelsea boss is still not sure of his starting XI in Germany.

When asked about Cahill and Luiz's chances of making the final, Di Matteo added: "We are working towards their fitness and trying to get them back as soon as we can, but I can't answer the question.

"They were not available for Liverpool so we will have to see.

Players unavailable
"We have injuries, we had five players unavailable and we need to see how the players are after the game as well.

"We will check on their progress and how they will develop. I would like to have everyone available.

"I will have to think about the team as we have those suspensions.

"I have to think about how they play and which players fit best into our set-up for the final."

Sky Sports

0 replies since 9/5/2012, 20:49   22 views