TERRY: MIXED EMOTIONS

« Older   Newer »
x_Carla_x
view post Posted on 26/4/2012, 21:24

John Terry has expressed his disappointment and apologised to both his teammates and supporters after watching back replays of the incident which led to his dismissal during our 2-2 draw against Barcelona, a result which saw us book our place in the Champions League final courtesy of a 3-2 aggregate win.

Terry saw red after a coming together with Barcelona's Alexis Sanchez when we were 1-0 down, but while the skipper admitted he was initially stunned by the decision, on reflection he could understand why he was sent off.

'Sanchez was darting in behind me, I've seen the replay and it does look bad, but I'm not the type of player to go out and intentionally hurt anyone,' said the skipper. 'I've raised my knee, which I shouldn't have done in hindsight, but hopefully the people out there that know me, as a player and a person, know I'm not like that.

'I'm disappointed, but obviously delighted for the lads, to come here and play the way that they did, and get the result that they did with 10 men. I feel like I've let them down, I've apologised to them and I want to apologise to all the Chelsea fans as well.

'At the time I was a little bit bewildered because I was just trying to protect myself, but looking back on the replay it does look like a red card. I've let the lads down as I said, but hopefully this doesn't take away from the way they performed and the way they worked together as a team.'

The tie appeared to be slipping away from us after a disastrous first half in which we lost Gary Cahill to injury early in the game, before goals from Sergio Busquets and Andres Iniesta put the home side in the ascendany.

Right on the stroke of half-time, however, Ramires fired us back into the game with an exquisite chip. Lionel Messi missed a penalty for Barcelona shortly after the break, and after repelling wave after wave of the Spanish side's pressure, substitute Fernando Torres booked our place in Munich when he finished in style on the break in the dying minutes.

'It's important to be there, it's massive for the football club,' said Terry. 'Three or four months ago nobody would have predicted that we'd be in the position we're in, so I'm absolutely delighted.

'On a personal note, of course I'm disappointed, but believe me this football club deserves to be in the Champions League Final, we've had a little bit of luck along the way in the competition and long may it continue, but I hope the incident doesn't take away from how well the lads played.'

ChelseaFC

0 replies since 26/4/2012, 21:24   23 views