TERRY: DELIGHTED AND DESERVED

« Older   Newer »
x_Carla_x
view post Posted on 16/4/2012, 21:42

There was no doubt in the captain's mind after Sunday's game - Chelsea thoroughly warrant our place in the FA Cup Final next month.

John Terry was outstanding in defence throughout the 5-1 win over Tottenham, including clearing off the line from a Rafael van der Vaart header with the score still 0-0, and he was also involved in the game's controversial moment - Chelsea's second goal - but further strikes by Ramires, Frank Lampard and substitute Florent Malouda, Didier Drogba having given his side a first-half lead, meant it was an emphatic victory in the all-London clash.

'It was a great performance and a great result and some excellent goals as well from Lamps and Didier, and there was great movement as well,' said a smiling Terry soon after the final whistle.

'I thought we were the better side. Tottenham had a good spell in the first half but we soaked that up.'

Terry was one of the bodies in the Spurs goalmouth shortly after half-time when Juan Mata shot towards them and the officials gave a goal. Our opponents protested strongly but the picture above appears to show the ball over the line. It also shows it was not easy for Terry to judge.

'I have not seen it on the replay,' was the captain's initial reaction.

'I thought it hit me and didn't go over but the linesman has seen it and given it, and we are delighted with the win. People can argue about it all they want but we are through to the Final.

'That is testament to ourselves. We have come up against some really tough sides in the competition and this game against one of the best sides in the league at the moment.'

Thoughts immediately turn to the hosting of Barcelona midweek, and although David Luiz coming off with an injury was not good news, the way the Blues were able to rack up the goals towards the end at Wembley was good for more than just confidence.

'We were able to take our foot off the gas a little bit with Wednesday in mind because that is going to be a massive game for us,' explained Terry.

'We played some great football on a great Wembley pitch and hopefully we can repeat that on Wednesday.

'It is going to be really tough but if we can play some of the football like we did against Tottenham then we have got a chance.'

ChelseaFC

0 replies since 16/4/2012, 21:42   30 views