PORTSMOUTH - (8/1/2012) - JT

« Older   Newer »
x_Carla_x
view post Posted on 28/1/2012, 14:56

WE HAVE A SPECIAL HISTORY IN THE CUP, NOW LET'S ADD TO IT

The 3-1 defeat at home to Aston Villa was unacceptable. Full stop. We had to get three points against Wolves last Monday, to return to winning ways, and the manner in which we got the second goal showed just how determined we were to do so.

We could not have accepted a draw, given our position in the league and the way we had dominated the game. So, when they equalised, we showed the quality and character of a winning team to come again.

Also, Lamps demonstrated once again how good he is at making his way into the area and getting on the end of things to score. Now we want to build on that by making sure we keep on winning, beginning today in the FA Cup.

Portsmouth were obviously a Premier League team until recently and, although we beat them 1-0 at Fratton Park in pre-season, the last time we played them competitively was in the Cup Final in 2010. We walked up the steps to lift the trophy that day and we have a unique history in this competition as the last team to win it at the original Wembley and the first team to win it at the new stadium.

Every year, when Chelsea enter this competition, we aim to win it. I want to wish youth-team manager Adi Viveash and the lads good luck for Wednesday, when they play Norwich in the FA Youth Cup. The game is at Carrow Road, so it will be a great experience for them to play a competitive cup match in a Premier League stadium.

On Thursday night, I went along to watch training from the Under-16s down to the Under-9s and I just want to mention what great shape the Academy is in. I was really impressed by the work done by all the coaches there. I saw and spoke to a few of them who I'd like to mention specifi cally, guys like Neil Bath; Jim Fraser; Joe Edwards; Andy Myers; Michael Beale; Ed Brand and Bob Osborn. All the coaches are doing a great job and I'm sure I will get the chance to see more of what they are doing in the future.

I came through the ranks playing alongside Andy Myers and to have him working with the youngsters and giving them the benefit of his experience is a really good thing.

The Academy set-up, the facilities and the way the boys are treated is top quality. But, most of all, the standard right the way down to the young ones is so high. They have a lot of England players at Under-16s and Under-15s level. It's a different philosophy from when I was younger - even at eight or nine years old they are doing drills comfortably with both feet. It's exciting to see the future of this club is in great hands and long may it continue.

Come on the Chels!

ChelseaFC

0 replies since 28/1/2012, 14:56   9 views