Capello - Terry is team leader

« Older   Newer »
x_Carla_x
view post Posted on 11/11/2011, 23:11

Fabio Capello claims John Terry remains the 'leader' of the England team and has defended his decision to select the Chelsea skipper.

The Blues centre-half will, however, not lead his country out against Spain on Saturday as Capello has opted to rest his captain.

Frank Lampard will take the armband against the reigning world and European champions, with the midfielder having been selected to fill in for his club colleague.

Capello, though, is adamant that Terry remains England's on-field general and has confirmed that he will skipper the side against Sweden on Tuesday.

"He is the team leader," said the Italian tactician.

"He will always be a really important person in the dressing room.

"He will play against Sweden but tomorrow he will be on the bench.

"Like the other players, we can't play all the players I selected. I can make six substitutions and I will decide on the changes during the game."

Options
Asked if Terry would definitely captain the side against Sweden, Capello replied: "Yes."

It has been suggested that Terry should have been overlooked by England with the Football Association and Metropolitan Police still investigating allegations that he racially abused Queens Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand.

Capello insists there was never any chance of him leaving the Chelsea man out, though, with the decision to rest him against Spain taken a long time before the race row broke out.

"He is innocent until proven guilty," said the England coach of the allegations which Terry has strenuously denied.

"I decided that he will not play this game against Spain because I want to see something different in the two centre-backs we will play tomorrow.

"I decided everything before what happened."

Sky Sports

0 replies since 11/11/2011, 23:11   26 views