EXCLUSIVELY MAGAZINE - CHRISTMAS 2008

« Older   Newer »
Carla_MrsTerry
view post Posted on 24/2/2009, 19:11

http://www.exestates.com/publications.aspx
Click the pfd and scroll to site 28

thanks lampardluvva @ http://lampardsrives.proboards98.com/index.cgi?

Interview:

It was the picture of domestic bliss and chaos you will find at any breakfast time in most homes. Dad was helping his young son get dressed, struggling with a vest and then a jumper. Mum was looking after her daughter, attempting to do up the belt on a pleated skirt.

All normal stuff. Plenty of gentle persuasion and encouragement.
A warm and happy young family at the start of a normal day.
The mum and dad in question are England and Chelsea captain John Terry and his wife Toni. Childhood sweethearts from 17, together for 11 years and as proud as punch of their two-and-a-half-year-old twins Georgie and Summer at their spacious but welcoming home in Oxshott.

Being normal, having normal standards and trying to give their children a normal upbringing is at the heart of everything the Terrys do. When you’re as well-known as John Terry, it’s not an easy task. But they are determined to be as grounded as humanly possible.

With Georgie and Summer safely taken round to Toni’s parents, who live next door, the Terrys sit and chat about the kids, their own backgrounds, their ambitions, hopes and fears, Toni’s love of horse riding and, of course, John’s life as skipper of club and country.

There’s still one thing to do before they can relax. Their puppy
boxer, named ‘Tinkerbell’ by the children, is sent outside. “It’s embarrassing having to call out that name,” says John, “But what
can I do about it? We gave the naming rights to Georgie and Summer and that’s what they came up with.”

The walls of their galleried hallway are covered with family photographs and pictures of their spectacular wedding at Blenheim Palace last year. After the wedding, the couple enjoyed
a honeymoon in Dubai for five days.

“Bringing up the children is what motivates us,” says John. “Having our own kids has reminded us what our parents did for us both. My mum and dad made great sacrifices to allow
me to follow my career in football. I’ll never forget that. My mum Sue worked in an old people’s home and my dad Ted was a forklift driver, working 12 hour days.”

And Toni, who met John at a nightclub in Essex, has a similar story. “My dad Alan had a small business and worked incredibly hard and my mum Sue was always there for us, supporting us.

“I’m very close to them both and we now have them living next door. John is away a lot with Chelsea and England and it’s wonderful having mum and dad so close. If I’m on my own, they pop round and help with the children.”

Their ideal day is a Sunday (provided there’s no football). As John says: “We have a slow start to the day. Georgie and Summer are up early and they climb into bed with us. It’s a fantastic feeling.

“There’s no rush to get dressed and we take our time enjoying the moment together.” And Toni’s eyes light up at the thought. “We all snuggle down together. We genuinely understand how fortunate we are as a family,” she says.

One of John’s toys is a mini-Hummer golf buggy. “There are fields and sheep at the end of the road, so the kids climb aboard and off we go,” says John. “That’s the great thing about living here. There’s countryside round the corner and London is only half-an-hour away. It couldn’t be better for us.”

John is a rarity, a one-club man throughout his career since joining the Chelsea youth system at the age of 14. He has recently celebrated the 10th anniversary of his first-team debut and has been listed in the World XI for a record fourth time.

They first moved to Surrey when they were 19, buying a house in Epsom while Toni was working in an accountant’s office and then at a health club after taking a two-year beauty course in
London’s Oxford Street.

John established himself as a first-team regular during the 2000-2001 season, being voted the club’s Player of the Year in the process. Since then, he has become the rock of the club, the stalwart and the fans’ favourite because of his no-nonsense, hard-working approach to the game.

His career highlights are endless. He was voted best defender in the Champions League in 2005 and earlier this year, the PFA Players’ Player of the Year in 2005, and was named in the all-star squad for the 2006 World Cup, the only English player to make the team.

Last year he became the first captain to lift the FA Cup at the new Wembley Stadium in Chelsea’s 1-0 win over Manchester United and also the first player to score a full international goal there, scoring a header in England’s 1-1 draw with Brazil.

But the 2007-08 season saw Terry and Chelsea miss out on three trophies, losing the Carling Cup final to Tottenham, and both the Premier League and Champions League to United.

His missed penalty in the Champions League final shootout, sending it to sudden death, still haunts him.

“I still think about it a lot,” he says. “It was a massive blow, but that’s when the family came to the fore. Toni was very supportive and I had the rest of my family on my side. It was such a massive help. As soon as I walked into the house and the kids ran up to me I felt as though I had let them and everybody down, but they didn’t have a clue what happened that night. That moment will live long in my memory, but having a close, loving family helped a great deal.”

Toni adds: “John is so passionate about his football that I knew how hard that penalty miss was. He was so down, but Georgie and Summer and the rest of his family soon put everything into perspective for him.”

But John insists: “That disappointment has made me even more determined to make Chelsea succeed this year. Being beaten by United hurt. We’ll do everything to stop that happening again.”

The Terrys moved to their present home in Oxshott five years ago. “It has everything we want and need,” admits Toni. “There is plenty of room for the kids and their toys. It is still cosy and feels like a proper home.

“But we are trying hard to teach Georgie and Summer the value of money. They appreciate things they are given and they look after them. At the end of the day they put their toys away properly.”

There’s a lovely garden for John to kick a ball about with the kids,
especially Georgie. Is he showing any talent yet? “He is actually,” beams John. “He already loves kicking a ball and he thinks he plays for Chelsea. When people ask him what he’s been doing he tells them he’s been working at Chelsea.

“I’d love him to be a footballer, but I’m fully aware of the pressures that are put on sons of successful players. I wouldn’t want him to feel forced to be a player. If he’s good enough, I’ll encourage him, but who knows, he might be a lawyer or a doctor!”

And Toni chips in: “To be honest, we don’t mind what they do with their lives as long as they have good values, they appreciate all they’ve got and they turn out to be good people and to respect others. That’s all that’s important.”

Both children go to a local nursery a few mornings a week, giving Toni time to pursue her other passion: horse riding, and in particular, dressage.

“I’ve always enjoyed riding, but now I’m taking it quite seriously,”
she says. “I’m getting some expert teaching from Vicky Thompson, a former Olympic champion who is based at the Oldencraig Equestrian Centre in Lingfield. It only takes half-an-hour to get there and I love every moment of it.”

What’s the horse’s name? “He’s a stallion called Del Boy! If I ever get really good it might sound a bit funny when the announcer calls out his name, but never mind.”

Toni is also a qualified karate black belt 1st Dan. “I’ve learned not to get into an argument with her,” says John.

Their idea of perfect days out include a trip to the Woburn Safari Park, a local farm or the Gambado indoor play venue in Chelsea, while their social life is with their own parents, brothers and sisters or with family-orientated Chelsea players who live locally.

Beyond that, home is where their hearts grow fondest. “John is away so much we make the most of our time together,” says Toni.

Even Christmas Day is dominated by Chelsea. “We’ll have a very early lunch with all the family here and then I need to get off to training,” says John. “Then I meet up with the other players at the team hotel taking it easy before the Boxing Day match against West Brom, which is a lunchtime kick-off.

“It’s worked out quite well for us this year because the next game a couple of days later is at home to Fulham. At least there are no big trips this Christmas, but it’s still hard to leave Toni and the children.”

With that, it’s time for John to get back to light training up the road at Chelsea’s training facility in Cobham. He got home at 2.30 in the morning after an away game and the children woke him at 7am.

“I don’t mind,” he says. “There’s plenty of time for sleep, but I’m determined never to waste a moment with Georgie and Summer.”

HOBBIES[

John - I’m a keen golfer and a member at Wisley. I play off eight. The best “family” fun is when we all get in the golf buggy and go in search of sheep. The kids love them and we feed them!

I also enjoy collecting unusual or rare watches, especially a Rolex.

Toni - Riding Del Boy and competing in events in dressage. I get over to the Oldencraig Equestrian Centre in Lingfield as often as possible where Del Boy is stabled. My dad’s a keen rider too, so he’s often with me.

It’s an amazing place, run by Vicki Thompson, who is an Olympic dressage rider and trainer. She has represented Great Britain on a regular basis, riding at the European Championships and the
Atlanta Olympic Games as well as being national champion 13 times.

The whole place is so well run and Vicki is such a wonderful person and a brilliant trainer. I’m there three times a week when the children are at nursery.

SHOPPING

John - I’m a reluctant shopper and really object to spending a lot of money on clothes. The other players make fun of me because of my taste and lack of clothes, but I’m happy in a pair of decent jeans and a shirt. Nothing fancy.

Toni - If we go on a family trip we often end up in Harrods and we make use of their personal shopping service. I enjoy days out with my mum and John’s mum and I love my friend Carly Park’s shop Club that’s just opened in Esher. It’s unique, chic and beautiful.

I also go to Bernard of Esher and my favourite designers include Stella McCartney, Marc Jacobs and Christian Louboutin.

STYLE & BEAUTY

John - I get my hair cut by Leo Bancroft in Oatlands Village, Weybridge. Leo also does Georgie and most of the ‘boys’ at Chelsea. Leo got us ready for the wedding day as well.

Toni - My favourite beauty salon is Jill Zander in Esher. Jill and her friendly staff always make me feel at ease and relaxed. I swear by the salt a-peel microderm abrasion followed by the mesotherapy vitamin facial and to finish, the revitalight red LED rejuvenation. I also recommend ‘Accent’ on my face and body.

DINING

John & Toni - We often go to the Panahar and the Good Earth, both in Esher, and also Pizza Express. We used to go to the one in Cobham. Pity it closed down. If we go to London we head for Scalini or San Lorenzo.

ROLE MODELS

John - There are many sportsmen I’ve learned from and looked up to. I also talk to my older brother Paul a lot. He’s a professional footballer with Leyton Orient.
Toni - My mum and dad, obviously, and I get a lot of inspiration from John too.

CHARITABLE INTERESTS

John & Toni support many charities, including CLIC Sargent (caring for young people and children with cancer), the Make a Wish Foundation and the Bobby Moore Fund for cancer research.

AMBITIONS

John - One day I would like to be a coach and then manager of Chelsea. I’ve been with them my entire career and would like to stay. I’ve kept notes on most of the training sessions, recording the good and the bad. Having managers like Jose Mourinho and now Phil Scolari is amazing. I’ve learned a hell of a lot from them. I’m planning on taking my FA coaching badges next year.

Toni - To bring the children up properly, as normally as possible and to give them good values. I’ve also toyed with the idea of opening a shop one day – a children’s clothes shop that also has a play area and a little coffee shop, but we’ll wait and see.

man102
view post Posted on 4/3/2009, 12:14

Thank you very much .
They are very lovely and sweet family

aurinko
view post Posted on 4/3/2009, 14:31

thank you ;)
they are so sweet image

Damien123
view post Posted on 9/3/2009, 22:55

aww how sweet nice intervieww

Carla_MrsTerry
view post Posted on 10/3/2009, 17:18

Sure is

Happy lady
view post Posted on 10/3/2009, 17:58

That interview is really nice i wish frank and elen could have been like that :(

Teb
view post Posted on 22/3/2009, 04:37

Thanks what a beautiful family :)

mrsparker
view post Posted on 24/3/2009, 07:59

Thanks that is so sweet what a lovely family.

elen
view post Posted on 20/4/2009, 09:22

thanks i'm dont see dis

sofee
view post Posted on 21/4/2009, 12:28

Rrrr That is lovely interview, thanks :)

ctkj0420
view post Posted on 3/6/2009, 11:39

awsome!!!!!
nice interview!!!

Cydney :)
view post Posted on 5/6/2009, 16:48

Aww..sweet (:
Seem very loved up x

ctkj0420
view post Posted on 16/6/2009, 04:42

wt a lovely family!!

amiejunior
view post Posted on 18/6/2010, 17:13

Aw thats a lovely interview. They seem lovely people and such a happy little family! x

Terryna*26
view post Posted on 22/6/2010, 12:18

Thank you very much .
They are very lovely and sweet family.........is fantastic.....

16 replies since 24/2/2009, 19:06   170 views